It’s that time again, kids everywhere are getting ready to return to school. For parents, this is often a bittersweet time. Many parents are ready for more routine and structure in their children’s days, but now need to start packing lunches, helping with homework, and overall RE-ORGANIZE their own routine. Additionally, kids are returning to more structured bedtimes and morning routines.
So what can parents do, from a holistic perspective, to seamlessly shift from summer fun to school routine?
Here are a some suggestions:
- Start a bedtime meditation routine. Kids of all ages can benefit from meditation…and parents can, too. Meditation can be short and simple for little ones. The older the child, typically, the longer the child can meditate. Some easy options for meditations include:
- Guided meditations such as these on Sleepy Starry Sky, Sleepy Sloth, The Sleepy Rainbow
- Healing Touch Self-Chakra Meditation which can be downloaded here. Add a therapeutic grade essential oil for added relaxation. A wonderful option is lavender essential oil placed on KD1 and PC6.
- An additional bedtime tip includes get everything ready for tomorrow morning the night before. Lay out clothes for tomorrow morning, put completed homework into backpacks and so forth to help create an easy start to the day.
- Make the morning routine fun, inspiring, and a positive start to the day. By creating this positive energetic start, your child has a better ability to enter their school day optimistically and ready to learn.
- Start with a morning affirmation. For example: “Everything is always working out for me.” OR “I greet each moment and everyone with a smile.”
- Begin with a balanced breakfast. If your schedule allows time for a quick sit down breakfast, that’s optimal. But for many, it’s unrealistic. Here are some great to go breakfasts. A meal replacement bar such as a Vega Bar, eggs baked in a muffin tin, Pamela’s pancake mix pancake roll-up rolled with organic bacon or organic sausage.
While I am a doctor in the holistic and integrated medicine field, I’m also a parent with young children always looking for ways to improve each day. If you have suggestions or tips for an easy back to school start, please leave a comment! We value your feedback.
Intending you a great day!